Viewed by over 6 million in 100 giant screen theatres.
Mystery of the Nile documents one of the greatest expeditions in modern times—the first complete descent of the world’s greatest and deadliest river from source to sea. For 114 days, a team of explorers led by Pasquale Scaturro and Gordon Brown face nearly insurmountable challenges as they make their way 3,260 miles down the Blue Nile and Nile River. Deadly crocodiles and hippos, the world’s most dangerous white-water rapids, gunfire from bandits, malaria, and temperatures topping 120°F are just some of the obstacles they face. But more than just a chronicle of a groundbreaking expedition, Mystery of the Nile also reveals a wondrous region that is host to abundant historical, cultural and natural treasures. Along their journey through the highlands of Ethiopia, the deserts of Sudan and the modern port towns of Egypt, the adventurers explore the spectacular black pyramids left by the Nubian kingdoms in Meroe, the early Christian churches carved out of rock by 12th century Coptics in the sacred Ethiopian city of Lalibela, and the ancient pyramids of Egypt’s pharaohs.
“A visual feast…[Mystery of the Nile] spectacularly illustrates the river’s majesty as well as its life-sustaining importance to the ancient and modern worlds…a banquet of stunning scenery… By journey’s end you will have had an action-packed thrill-ride.”
– Atlanta Journal-Constitution
“…Mystery of the Nile does not fail to boggle the mind…The courage, curiosity and perhaps partial insanity of the explorers–not to mention the film crew–are admirable, as their trail and tribulations yield stunning images galore…made all the more glorious by the large-screen format…[a movie of] stirring beauty and scope”
– Box Office Magazine
“Giant-format movies are at their best when they capture real-life experiences that fill vast IMAX screens with action and excitement. Mystery of the Nile is just such a film, as heart-pounding an adventure as the spectacular Everest, which set the benchmark for IMAX productions.” —Cincinnati Enquirer
“With a majestic quality benefitting its subject, Mystery of the Nile is an IMAX film with meat on its bones…the only real problem with Nile is that it doesn’t last longer.”
-The Charleston Post and Courier
“…thrilling…an exciting journey, full of dazzling images.”
– The Oregonian
“A beautiful, eye-opening, heart-pounding adventure from one end of the great river to the other.”
– Charleston City Paper
“Beautiful cinematography…the audience will feel as though they, too, are running the rapids.”
– Newark Star-Ledger
“…does not fail to boggle the mind…stunning images galore.”
– Box Office Magazine
- Special Achievement in Filmmaking Award- 2005 Giant Screen Theater Association Achievement Awards (Presented to Greg MacGillivray and Jordi Llompart)
- Best Cinematography and Best Soundtrack – 2005 Giant Screen Theater Association Achievement Awards
- Best Marketing Campaign by a Distributor – 2005 Giant Screen Theater Association Achievement Awards
- Film of Outstanding Content, Film of Outstanding Sound – Shanghai Science Week Film Festival, 2008
- Nominated for a Panda Award (one of five finalists in the Large Format category) – 2006 Wildscreen Film Festival, Bristol, England
- Best Adventure Trip of the Year – Spanish Geographic Society 2006 Awards
- Grand Prize, Youth Prize and Public’s Choice Prize – 2006 La Géode Large Format Film Festival, Paris (the only time all 3 awards have been awarded to the same film)
- The highest grossing giant screen film of 2005
Mystery of the Nile Soundtrack
Featuring music inspired by the indigenous music of the people that live along the Nile, a unique combination of African and Middle Eastern styles.
Mystery of the Nile: The Epic Story of the First Descent of the World’s Deadliest River
By Richard Bangs and Pasquale Scaturro
Beautiful cinematography…the audience will feel as though they, too, are running the rapids.